The header image above says it all.
The only National Dive Site between Dunfermline and Dover!
Yet divers come from even further afield,
including the Seychelles and Thailand, to dive in our lake!
- Diving started in the early 60′s.
- In 1985 the site was put up for sale by London Brick, and was at risk of being lost to diving.
- However, Fenland District Council would not support the proposed uses by the other buyers, leaving the way clear for Ian Forster, the current owner, and his wife Pauline to secure the site for diving.
- It quickly gained national recognition and became the first and only National Dive Site to be approved by the Sports Council.
- In 1988, the British Sub Aqua Club (BSAC) sold their National Dive Site, Dosthill Quarry, to Ian – totalling then, and still, 2 national dive sites in Ian’s ownership – Dosthill Quarry near Birmingham, and Gildenburgh Water near Peterborough.
- Diving is still the main activity. Click the menu side bar for everything about diving at Gildy.